Organisations want employees who can think and take action without waiting for someone to tell them what to do. After all, this type of flexibility and courage is what pushes teams and organisations to innovate, and overcome competition.
When you show initiative, you do things without being told; you find out what you need to know; you keep going when the road gets a little challenging; and you spot and take advantage of opportunities. You act, instead of react.
There are six steps you can take to develop your own initiative.
1. Set a goal or develop a plan for yourself
2. Working toward your goal / plan helps to build your confidence
3. Be mindful to spot opportunities and improvements
4. Check in and invite feedback
5. Encourage yourself in order to cultivate and grow your inner-persistence
6. Find a balance and celebrate success